5.28.2012

Rosemary, Vanilla & Black Pepper-Infused Cream

I came up with this reduction the other day while experimenting with bourbon-based cocktails. I made a few adjustments and came up with this improved version that I'll be using today in my Rosemary's Baby cocktail, but I also think it will be delicious on the Boysenberry-Strawberry Pie we're having for dessert tonight...

Ingredients:

1 cup (8 oz) heavy cream
1 vanilla bean
3 small sprigs fresh rosemary (approx 1/2 - 3/4 tsp)
3/4 tsp whole black peppercorns, divided
2 Tbl orange blossom honey

I use local &/or organic products whenever possible. When I travel, I always pick up some local products and specialties. They are usually inexpensive and also make great souvenirs. I bought these vanilla beans from La Maison du Cacao in Guadeloupe earlier this year.
Cocoa tree & pod

Split the bean down the middle, taking care not to cut it completely in half:

Add cream, bean, 1/2 tsp black peppercorns, and rosemary to a small saucepan:

Cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently and scraping down the sides (to prevent scalding) until reduced by half, about 10-15 minutes. Turn off the heat and remove the vanilla bean. Stir in the honey until completely incorporated.

Let cool 5-10 minutes then push through a fine mesh strainer into a glass or plastic container. Stir in remaining 1/4 tsp peppercorns and refrigerate at least one hour before using.

No comments:

Post a Comment