1.28.2014

PinTest: Eggs Baked in Avocado

This pin and variations of it have been viral on Pinterest for ages. I pinned it to my Recipes to Try board 40 weeks ago, and finally gave it a whirl this morning.

Reading the comment sections of recipes can be super helpful, and I'm glad I did in this case: adding water to the baking pan kept the overspilled egg whites from burning, which would have set off the fire alarm, which in turn would have sent the dog cowering into the corner to glare at me. Since he spite-pees, I try to avoid annoying him. 

It took 15 minutes for the egg whites to set up instead of 10-12, and even then, one was still a little translucent and wiggly with a runny-ish yolk, while the yolk of the other was no longer runny, and the white was fully set. 

The toppings are a nice start, but to add some flavor dimension, I added sliced radish to the other toppings, which I mixed with the scooped-out avo, and a generous tablespoon of cottage cheese to each avocado half.


Here's the finished result:

Eggs Baked in Avocado

I still found it boring, flavor-wise, so I added Cholula. Even this didn't give it the depth of flavor I hoped for.


Since I have, as of today, 398 other recipes to try from Pinterest alone, I probably won't make this again. If I did, though, I would swap the cottage cheese for sharp cheddar or Manchego, and add crispy bacon or crisped lardons. 

Oh well, can't win 'em all!

No comments:

Post a Comment